News...

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Re: News...

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

There is an endpoint indicator on all the cursors (Select, Draw, Rotate).

There is a table of all the cursors and their indicators here in the manual

When you are drawing something (say a line) the Draw cursor adds a little "tadpole" when it finds and has snapped on to an endpoint, like this
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 06.14.27.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 06.14.27.png (6.65 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
When the Draw cursor is in line horizontally with an endpoint, but some distance away, the tadpole goes horizontal like this
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 06.20.24.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 06.20.24.png (6.63 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
And when it lines up vertically it goes like this
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 06.20.39.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 06.20.39.png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
And when it lines up both vertically and horizontally you get two little tadpoles, one vertical and one horizontal!

This happens regardless of highlighting, Highlighting really tells you which object you're actually snapping to, which is useful on a complex crowded drawing.

I think highlighting occurs when the end of the little cross (on the Draw cursor) touches the object – so the three "in line with endpoint" indicators won't cause highlighting because, by definition, they only happen when the cursor isn't touching the object. The endpoint, center and perpendicular indicators all cause highlighting.

At least I think that's how it all works!

Eric: it would be really nice :mrgreen: if you could turn highlighting on and off "on the page" in the little bottom left hand menu (as well as in Preferences) because I think one will want to turn it on and off quite often on a complicated drawing.

Cheers -- George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Eric,
That would be great. In my old DrawingBoard program, there were snapping handles (little boxes) and text flags for on line, endpoint, midpoint, center, and tangent. I would really prefer those, over the little indicators that we have, now.

These would come into play both at the start if a line, any crossings, and the endpoint. So you could, for example, draw a line across 3 rectangles, and you would see 6 indicators as you crossed over from start to finish.

I will be happy to lend you my DrawingBoard manual, which shows all these things. Maybe you'll get some ideas to make a great progrm even better!

Merci.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George, Mike (and Others ?),

Happy new year!

A new beta version b3 is available for test :
Version Mac OS X
Version Windows

I have added a label to display the name of the attraction found.
When there is an alignment with one of the 3 points in memory, the point(s) with it is (are) drawn differently.
A new checkbox have been added in the preferences (and a new picture in left bottom empty for now but working) to select or deselect for all this (including highlighting).
The attraction "Surface" on all objects is not done.

George, I can't reproduce the crashes you have.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse