Minor queries and a suggestion

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Minor queries and a suggestion

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Two minor things:

1. When I come to open older drawings they are just fine until I try to use Page Setup, whereupon RC crashes. If I select all and copy the drawing to a new plan, everything is fine. I originally thought it was because I had stray objects outside the drawing – but that doesn't seem to be the case. The drawings I am working on now, where it is happening are early 2013 - but I can't remember the RC version!

2. And very minor indeed – I move a line or polycurve from its original layer to a new layer. Then later on, on the original layer, with the other layers hidden, if I select the Parallel tool, the lines that I have moved will appear on the original layer. Once I have drawn the parallel, they disappear again! I think it only happens in Dynamic mode.

I'm using 4:70b3. By the way - the BeamCamber script is working really well!

And a suggestion: With Copy and Paste would it be possible to add the possibility to past the object's with relevance to the drawing as well as the mouse – so for example, when Copying and Pasting a whole drawing, with borders etc. (as I have been doing a lot of in 1. above!) you can select for it to be positioned in the centre of the drawing?

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: Minor queries and a suggestion

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion !

I will look them.

Cordialement.

Eric
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

For the point 1, hold down the key alt or option when you call Page Setup to avoid the crash.
But I found the problem, I think that there has been a change in the format of the page setup.
Therefore I have to test it before trying to use it...

Now the point 2 !
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Point 2 fixed !
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

For your suggestion, do you want to have the possibility to paste with the center of pasted objects at the center of the drawing?
If so, what if the bound of pasted objects is bigger than the drawing area?

Eric
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Thanks Eric – holding down the option key works fine with page setup on those older drawings. What an odd thing! It would be good to fix it of course – but the workaround is a lot better than copying and pasting the whole thing into a new drawing, which is what I was doing.

With regard to being able to paste objects into the centre of a drawing, I quite see that if the set of objects is bigger than the drawing it is a difficulty – and getting objects outside the drawing – specially above or to the left – is a real nuisance. But of course you can do it already with ⌥⌘V, so you do have to be careful anyway.

And actually - if you design your page to be the size of a group of objects, they do paste automatically in to the centre of the drawing using plain ⌘V – so in reality it's probably not a useful suggestion! This works specially well if the drawing has a border to it.

I do quite a lot of big drawings for CNC cutting files - so my page will typically be 9150mm x 3050mm – then to make a PDF copy so that people can see what the DXF file contains I do a 1:10 version by copying the whole of the 1:1 drawing on to a 1:10 scale 915 x 305 drawing, using the auto scaling facility of the paste command – which all works perfectly. But I've been using ⌥⌘V and it doesn't go nicely into the centre of the new drawing however hard you try - but of course using a simple plain ⌘V, it does – so my problem is solved :mrgreen:

I had forgotten that ⌘V by default pastes things into the centre of the drawing if it can, or aligned top left if it can't (at least I think that is the case ??? – perhaps you could confirm/clarify ???) – which when working on a small part of a drawing is often a nuisance, which is why I have got into the habit of using ⌥⌘V – but great when you want to paste the whole thing!

I need to add this information to the manual because it really is quite a time saver and needs clarification. I'll also add the Option solution for Page Setup until it's part of a future version

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

⌘V doesn't paste objects into the center of the drawing but at the same place of original objects (if the scale of the new drawing is the same).

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Ah - then it only happens for me because I have carefully arranged the border to be central - equal from all sides of the drawing.

What happens when you rescale as you paste - where does it go??

Then perhaps it would be good after all to be able paste something with relevance to the drawing as well as with relevance to the mouse. Perhaps you could select "Mouse" or "Drawing" on the Paste special ... screen before selecting anchoring.

With regard to objects being pasted outside the drawing (and off the screen in fact) - you can already do this with Paste special ... So with reference to drawing wouldn't be any different/problematical. I suppose a warning like "objects are bigger than drawing" or similar would be good. ClarisCad simply refused to paste objects that would extend beyond the drawing size and issued a warning – which was pretty annoying actually! A warning would have been sufficient I always thought!

Cheers -- George