Suggestions and a question

2D CAD software for iPhone and iPad
adibella

Suggestions and a question

Post by adibella »

Hi,

this is the first time I write in the forum, first of all I like a lot the software, but I think you can improuve it.
These are my point:
1 it's very important if you can add an action to ADD, SUBTRACT, INTERSECT etc. objects.
2 more option for snap (surface, tangent, % point in a line etc) and the option to swich on and off some of it
3 for the layers, decide the style (line and fill color etc.)
4 when you choose a color can add in the favorites
5 to have a command to copy the style from an object and transfer to another one.

Could you do it in the next review?

a question: can you explain me what does it mean Layer's layout?

Thanks a lot

Alfio
Eric Pousse

Re: Suggestions and a question

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Alfio,

What do you mean on point 1? Add 2 rectangles for example to have only one?...

2) Tangent already exists. Surface and option exist on RealCADD, so probably one day in iPocket Draw.

3) Layers : You can decide the color of objects. It is the button C (Color) after the A (Active) and V (Visible).
If this button is activated, all objects of the layer will have the color of the square before the name of the layer. Tap on the square to select another color.

4) The place is limited on the screen of Attributes. To do that, I must delete one of the primary colors or find another system of presentation.

5) Yes good idea. In RealCADD, when you draw a new object, his style is the same that this of the last object selected before. I can do an intermediary mode : if an object is selected before that we draw a new one when the new object will have the same style, if not, he has the default style.

6) Layer's layout : You can use this when you have to do two drawings (or more) with some objects in common. So you can have layer0 for the common objects, layer1 for objects which will appear only on drawing 1 and layer2 for objects which will appear only on drawing 2. So you can create 2 layer's layout, one with layer0 and layer1 visible (for drawing 1) and the other with layer0 and layer2 (for drawing 2). The benefit is that if you modify some objets of layer0, the effect will appear on each layer's layout or drawing.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
adibella

Post by adibella »

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for your replay.

For the point 1 it means that if I designed two polygons (regular or not) and they have some part in commun, I can join them in a new polygon, I can subtract the commun area to one of them (normaly the back one) or I can find the comun area.
All cad softwere use this system to create a complex shapes, for example, a peninsula table in a kitchen with a round shape in a side, I design a rectangular and a circle, half circle cover the rectangular, then I join them and I have my peninsula table.

For point 2 I check again (sorry) but can I decide which constriction I can use? Or if I don't want any one of them?

For point 3, yes you are right but it's important also to have the different color for line and fill and for line decide the style, and in this way you can control better the object.
Also in this way you can solve the problem n 4 of the color.
In fact if with the layout you can decide all attribute, all object designed in the layer follow that attribute.

For point 4 maybe you can add a place under the total color or add a new page with favorites.

A new question, when we can import and export DWG files?

Sorry if I wrote a lot of questions and suggestion, but I tried a lot of software and yours is the best.
I'm an architect and I use Vector Works for my design with Mac and Autocad (my employee) if I have the total compatibility for me is fantastic.

My best

Alfio
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Alfio,

I add your requests on my todo list but it is a long list.

All attractions are active and you can't choose to desactive one or another.
I think that DWG import and export will be added in the next major release.

Thanks you for your suggestions and your appreciations.
Eric Pousse
adibella

Post by adibella »

Thank very much ERIC,

sorry, can You tela me where I can swich on and off the attractions?

Thanks again

Alfio
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

You can't.
Eric Pousse
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

I agree with Adibella, a surface snap is very desirable.

Also having tried a the program over the psat weeks the following features would help,
[*]The snaps seems to be distance realeted not pixel proximity distance, pixel distance is better
[*]The snap circle could change in shape depending on snap been used
[*]Multiline text (noted in prior post)
[*]It a snap is selected during the draw process with out releasing creation of dashed/coloured temporary construction lines in at lesat the x & y in conjunction with a surface snap is very useful in drawing. Automatic construction lines can be used for finding- offsets, line extensions, angles, parallel lines etc. They are are very useful.
[*]The ability to easily change the locked anchor points for objects, (as noted in my prior post), to asset in editing dimensions
[*]Ability to extend trim lines to other

Eric, I know that this quite a a lot things, but I am looking for a site friendly CAD system, that is easy for guys on site to draw in. From my point of view, I am happy for you to charge upgrades/ put the price up etc. For a professional CAD system the price that I have currently paid is very small. If you see something in this list, that ipocket draw already does please let me know
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Martin H wrote:I agree with Adibella, a surface snap is very desirable.
There is the tool "Prolong and cut line" which can help for that.
Martin H wrote:[*]The snaps seems to be distance realeted not pixel proximity distance, pixel distance is better
I don't understand the difference you do.
Martin H wrote:[*]The snap circle could change in shape depending on snap been used
Yes I have this feature in RealCADD and it is helpful.
Martin H wrote:[*]Multiline text (noted in prior post)
Yes I have to add it in a next version.
Martin H wrote:[[*]It a snap is selected during the draw process with out releasing creation of dashed/coloured temporary construction lines in at lesat the x & y in conjunction with a surface snap is very useful in drawing. Automatic construction lines can be used for finding- offsets, line extensions, angles, parallel lines etc. They are are very useful.
If I understand well, I have it in RealCADD and yes it is useful.
Martin H wrote:[[*]The ability to easily change the locked anchor points for objects, (as noted in my prior post), to asset in editing dimensions
Can you say to me a app or a desktop software (Mac) which can do that? So, if there is a demo version, I can see it and understand.
Martin H wrote:[[*]Ability to extend trim lines to other
"Prolong and cut line" tool?
Martin H wrote:[Eric, I know that this quite a a lot things, but I am looking for a site friendly CAD system, that is easy for guys on site to draw in. From my point of view, I am happy for you to charge upgrades/ put the price up etc. For a professional CAD system the price that I have currently paid is very small. If you see something in this list, that ipocket draw already does please let me know
Someone says that iPocket Draw is too expensive... Perhaps I must have a basic version with inApp purchase for advanced features.

Thanks for your suggestions, Martin, I add them on my todo list but it is a long list.
Eric Pousse
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

[quote="Eric Pousse"]Martin H wrote:
[*]The snaps seems to be distance realeted not pixel proximity distance, pixel distance is better
I don't understand the difference you do.

I found that I could snap to objects when the size of the lines where very large without zooming in dramatically. I think it would be better if the snap distance changed for large drawings

Martin H wrote:
[[*]The ability to easily change the locked anchor points for objects, (as noted in my prior post), to asset in editing dimensions
Can you say to me a app or a desktop software (Mac) which can do that? So, if there is a demo version, I can see it and understand.
In the Vectorworks object info you can select the anchor point that you wish to remain constant/ fixed as you change length/angle
So for a line in VW there are 3 anchors points that can be selected, the two end points and the centre
For rectangle the are 9 including centre.
I am suggesting that in ipocket draw you could possibly arrange it so that you double tap to select attributes it could also select the anchor to fix. This is very useful. At the moment for example, a rectangle changes from around the centre if I change dx,dy in the attributes, but I may have wanted the rectangle to be fixed from the bottom left corner.
Am I making sense?

Martin H wrote:
[[*]Ability to extend trim lines to other
"Prolong and cut line" tool?
I tried the extend and cut line tool, it helps for extending a line to a rectangle, but would note trim a line to a rectangle :(

Someone says that iPocket Draw is too expensive... Perhaps I must have a basic version with inApp purchase for advanced features.

CAD tools are used to earn money, developing things to build and draw. A tool that helps you earn $ is worth the effort. The ipad platform is improving in speed/capability however CAD for touch interface is in its infancy with the double problem of developing new interface for touch and adding a comprehensive suite of tools for CAD .
Your program has a nice suite of tools and good context responsive interface. While I can draw on pocket draw, it is missing some interface "niceties" that do improve my drafting speed.
I think it would be well worth the money paying to acquire a superb mobile CAD system. I did try other systems on the iPad, but none of them are a "productive" system as yet, so the game is wide open, particularly while the big CAD players are concentrating on viewers, not drafting systems.
Look forward to seeing you enhancements, developments, and inApp purchases of advanced features :)
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Eric,

Thinking about your in app purchasing I would make the symbols an in app purchase, you could sell then to us users by
Us providing you new ones with a clear description and in return be able to access some free symbols
Or us paying for you some small amount for access to some of your high quality well organise and searchable symbols.
If they are "cheap" it would easier to leave symbol management to yourself.
Also lets you see what uses ipocket draw is popular for, as you can see what symbols are been used and enhance that.

Might work, guess it worked for songs.

Hope o
It gives you an excuse for making ipocket draw a super cad system

Regards