Scale Factors in iPocket Draw

2D CAD software for iPhone and iPad
trikerider

Scale Factors in iPocket Draw

Post by trikerider »

Hi,

Love the app. Nice work.

I'm currently working with a contractor on renovations to our home. He has sent me scale plan drawings as a PDF. I have imported the drawings into ipocket draw with hopes of exploring renovation options, determining how furniture will fit, etc.

I would like to set the grids and scale in ipocket draw to correlate with the drawing. Noting that the scale of the drawing ( 1/2" = 1' ) is only valid when printed at an appropriate DPI, is there a way to work with this drawing so that what I'm doing is scaled correctly relative to the drawing as it is displayed within ipocket draw?

As an example of what I'm trying to do, let's say we have a dresser that is 6' long. One of our questions might be, given the renovations proposed, will that dresser fit within the master bedroom? If the capability I describe above exists, I could easily create a rectangle of the appropriate dimensions relative to the drawing and move it around to answer this question.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.
Eric Pousse

Re: Scale Factors in iPocket Draw

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Steve and thank you,

What you want to do is easy if your pdf is done at the same scale.
But on the pdf that you sent me, it is not sure because there is no dimension.
So ask for a new pdf with some dimensions of rooms for example and done at a defined scale but not at the size of the piece of paper.
If you have dimensions on the pdf, you can easily check the scale by creating a line on a dimension and compare the lengths.

Hope this help.
Eric Pousse
trikerider

Post by trikerider »

Thank you for your response but I think I need to ask my question a different way as your response does not seem to be the answer to the question I thought I was asking.

By way of example:
In ipocket draw, I can draw a straight line segment, AB. If I could inform ipocket draw that the real-world length of line AB is, for example, 3 meters, then the scale factor that correlates ipocket draw units (pixels?) to the original drawing's scale is obtained by dividing the length of line AB in ipocket draw units (let's assume they are pixels) by the length of line AB in real-world units - which would be meters in my example. (or vice versa, depending what you're converting to and from). What you get is there are x meters per pixel or y pixels per meter, whichever is required.

If this capability exists, I can not determine how to do it. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for my inadequate communication skills.

- S
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

That is automatic in iPocket Draw (and RealCADD).
You don't have to calculate anything.
You have only to choose the scale of your drawing in the preferences for example 1/50 or 1/10 or other.
And after, the length of the objects are displayed according the scale.
Example :
If you draw with a scale of 1/100, a line of length 5 meters will be drawn at 5 centimeters but iPocket Draw will indicate a length of 5 meters.
Eric Pousse
mjb1416

Post by mjb1416 »

trikerider

This can definitely be done. I imported a JPEG of a bicycle and then set the scale so that lines drawn over the image measure correctly.

The way I did this was:
Start with a scale factor of 1:1
Draw a line between two points of known distance apart. In your case this would probably be the length of a room.
Use the measurement tool to see how long iPocket Draw thinks the line is.
Now divide the real world length by the length shown on the drawing. This is the correct scale.
Set the scale to that calculated above.

To check it’s working, delete the original measurement object and re-measure. If you’ve done things correctly the measurement should match the real world dimension.

Now you can draw your furniture full size and it will appear correct on the drawing.
Mike Bennett