Dynamic dimensions?

2D CAD software for iPhone and iPad
Mikerosen

Dynamic dimensions?

Post by Mikerosen »

Is it possible to have a dimension update, as you resize an object? In DrawingBoard, if you selected the objective and the dimension handle, it would update as you moved. VERY convenient!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: Dynamic dimensions?

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

I don't know about iPD, but RC is mildly quirky about stretching more than one object at a time.

In ClarisCad, you could grab and object and its associated dimension line and drag the whole lot and the dimensions increased or decreased appropriately. This worked fine for vertical and horizontal dimensions and dimension at any angle. So if you had a square, with a dimension on the diagonal and then you stretched it, the square became a rectangle and the dimension became the diagonal of the rectangle. So obviously much the same as DB.

In RC (I don't know about iPD) you can stretch or shrink two or more objects using the Option key, not the Shift key and this works well vertically or horizontally, provided they are the same length (in the direction you are stretching them). If they are at an angle other than vertical or horizontal very odd things start to happen. And if they are not the same length, then one stretches and one moves (at least I think that is what is happening). In CC, with different length objects, they both stretched by an amount – I never ascertained whether it was the same amount or the same proportional amount, because it wasn't really a useful thing to do anyway.

But in RC when a dimension group stretches it doesn't reflect the new dimension. And you can't do angles.

That doesn't actually worry me very much and I never really used the feature in CC – but I can see that it could be really useful in many circumstances with different types of drawings.

I reckon Eric will get fed up with comparisons to ClarisCad and Drawing Board! :D

Cheers

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I don't want him to get fed up, but I do want him to be aware of what is possible, and desired. If he hasn't used programs with the features we point out, he may have not thought of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with both RC and iDB. I just want them to be better!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mikerosen wrote:Is it possible to have a dimension update, as you resize an object? In DrawingBoard, if you selected the objective and the dimension handle, it would update as you moved. VERY convenient!
No, that doesn't exist in iPocket Draw.
In RealCADD, as George explains there is a feature to move points but if dimensions are changed with it their texts aren't updated.
debenriver wrote:I reckon Eric will get fed up with comparisons to ClarisCad and Drawing Board! :D
No problem !
Mikerosen wrote:If he hasn't used programs with the features we point out, he may have not thought of them.
It is exactly this case.
Mikerosen wrote:I just want them to be better!
Me too...

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

You are both absolutely right of course – I was only joking – well maybe half joking!

I am very conscious however that RealCadd cost me $135 – I didn't have to pay $3000+ – and all updates have been free.

And it does pretty much what I need it to, pretty efficiently – and where it doesn't I can usually find a workaround.

But I'm with you 1000% on making it better!

Cheers -- George