Regular polygon

2D CAD software for iPhone and iPad
Mikerosen

Regular polygon

Post by Mikerosen »

I want to draw a simple hexagon, each side 8", with the base at 180 degrees.

There has to be a simple way, but I can't find it. I can specify the 6 sides, but then, as I draw, I'm trying to rotate the figure so that it's flat on the "horizon", and keep an eye on the length.

When I went into the properties, it looked like I had to adjust the length of each side individually, and I couldn't figure out how to rotate it as a whole.

I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it. What's the secret?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Re: Regular polygon

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,

Sorry but there is no command to do that directly.
You have to draw it manually or to draw some guide lines to be able to use the regular polygon tool with attractions on this guide lines.
But hexagon is particular because the length of the sides is equal to the distance from the center to each vertex.
Therefore if you use the regular polygon tool with an horizontal drag of 8", you have what you want.

Thanks
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Re: Regular polygon

Post by Mikerosen »

I'll try that, thanks.

EDIT: OK, so using the grid, I've gotten the hexagon in the proper orientation. But dimensioning is still a problem. I'm just dragging along the grid line, and watching the length figure. It's really hard to get an exact dimension. Is there a better way?

Suggestion: in the polygon dialogue box, along with "number of sides", could you add "length of side"? In order to properly locate it, we would still have to draw the line, but maybe there could be a "snap" at the requested side length. Sort of like a gas pump, that stops at the prepaid amount!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro