Radius of a segment of a circle

2D CAD software for iPhone and iPad
Post Reply
Mikerosen
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:16 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Contact:

Radius of a segment of a circle

Post by Mikerosen »

I draw a horizontal line, 30 inches.

From its center, I draw a vertical line, 8 inches.

I draw an arc connecting these three points, which is, of course, a segment of a circle.

What is the radius of that circle?

If I tap on the arc to select it, I can go to the properties menu, and see that the radius is 18.062 inches. Is there a way to do that with the radius tool, showing that dimension onscreen?

When I tap on the arc (or anything else) to select it, it will often shift out of position. Is there a way to "lock" the screen while selecting an object, so that my clumsy fingers don't push it?

(An observation: I can drag a selection box around the horizontal or vertical lines to select them. But I can only drag the box around ALL of the objects to select the arc, which selects them all. And then, the properties dialogue does, in fact, show the properties of the arc. A bit confusing.)

If the answers are "no", please consider them as feature requests!

Thanks, and sorry about the confusion on the other forum!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS 10.14, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse
Posts: 799
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31 pm
Location: Tours - France

Re: Radius of a segment of a circle

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,
Mikerosen wrote:I draw a horizontal line, 30 inches.

From its center, I draw a vertical line, 8 inches.

I draw an arc connecting these three points, which is, of course, a segment of a circle.

What is the radius of that circle?

If I tap on the arc to select it, I can go to the properties menu, and see that the radius is 18.062 inches. Is there a way to do that with the radius tool, showing that dimension onscreen?
Not directly but you can with some work with the cotation tool.
Mikerosen wrote:When I tap on the arc (or anything else) to select it, it will often shift out of position. Is there a way to "lock" the screen while selecting an object, so that my clumsy fingers don't push it?
You can lock objects but to do that you have to select them before...
Perhaps I can add a delay before the user can move an object after having selected it.
Mikerosen wrote:(An observation: I can drag a selection box around the horizontal or vertical lines to select them. But I can only drag the box around ALL of the objects to select the arc, which selects them all. And then, the properties dialogue does, in fact, show the properties of the arc. A bit confusing.)
When more than one object are selected, the properties dialogue shows the properties of the last selected.
Mikerosen wrote:If the answers are "no", please consider them as feature requests!
OK !
Which way do you want that a radius tool will work?
Mikerosen wrote:Thanks, and sorry about the confusion on the other forum!
No problem.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Post Reply