Crash with trim tool on 4.20 beta

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Crash with trim tool on 4.20 beta

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I am experiencing quite a lot of crashes when using the trim tool. I have tried to hone down when this happens but I can't identify any particular set of circumstances for certain sure. Possibly at higher magnifications (1600 or greater) it happens more. Could be a memory problem? Saving after a trim, before doing another trim, does seem to help.

Other than that everything is good! :D

George
Eric Pousse

Re: Crash with trim tool on 4.20 beta

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George and thank you.

I will take a look on this to try to fix it before releasing version 4.20.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Thanks Eric! :D
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

I can't reproduce the crash.

Can you explain more how you have it?

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Eric Pousse wrote:George,

I can't reproduce the crash.

Can you explain more how you have it?

Thanks.

Hi Eric

Well usually I have maybe 4 or more lines to trim. Quite often the lines have already been manipulated – extended, or drawn parallel, drawn perpendicular etc. from another line. I.e. They are not just simply drawn lines. Often there are two lines intersecting and I need to trim the ends of both. I select the trim tool and trim the first line. Sometimes I can simply go on and trim the remainder. Sometimes on the second or subsequent trims, I get the spinning coloured wheel and then it crashes. I usually (but not always) click to report the crash. Once it crashes, it tends to crash again after re-opening the drawing, if I try to use the trim tool again immediately. If I go on to do a few other things, do a few Saves, then the trim tool usually works again without crashing at least on the first one or two trims. I have noticed that if I save each time I do a trim, then it seldom crashes – but of course I often forget and trim away quite happily until it crashes!

I have a feeling that crashes happen more often at high magnifications – but I can't really be totally sure of this. I haven't noticed any difference whether I am trimming a line to a line, or to a circle etc.

My iMac is 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2GB of 667 MHz DDR2, running 10.6.8 – so it should have adequate memory generally.

There is another, possibly connected, quirk that I have encountered. Sometimes a line will not trim – the trim tool takes away the whole line instead of just the part to an intersection. This is particularly the case if I have used the parallels tool to create the line I want to trim. When this happens, "cut one line with another" does not work either. I have tried alt-cmd-L to make sure the line is in fact a line, but this doesn't make any difference. If I quit RealCADD and start it up again, the line will trim just fine and behave perfectly normally.

I like RealCADD a lot and it serves me for my professional work really well at reasonable cost – so a few minor bugs don't actually worry me!

Hope this helps

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you george !

I will explore more this way.
Eric Pousse