New problem with 5.02

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Re: New problem with 5.02

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

I'm not sure I really understand what's happening. But it looks like you are drawing outside the page.

If that is the case, when you do a ⌘+ or ⌘- it will zoom in (or out) on the centre of the page, rather than on the object you are wanting to get to.

If you want to draw outside the page, the simplest way is to make the drawing (not the page) temporarily bigger. So, after you have done Page setup, go to Edit >> Drawing size and enter *2 in the width box and *1 in the height box. This will give you two pages side by side and you can use the right hand page to do your drawings in etc., before finally moving them to the left hand page. Then zoom will work fine. And when you're done, delete anything left on the right hand page and go back to Edit >> Drawing size and make the width *1.

Apologies if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick and that's not the problem at all!

Cheers –– George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

No, I'm definitely drawing on the page. It's when I use ⌘+ to zoom in, moving the mouse as the next step causes the focus of the page to jump. It's how I have been working ever since the beginning, when I was missing DrawingBoard, and you were missing MacDraw!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

That's really odd. It just looked on your movie that the page was outlined over to the left – as it is when you open a new plan – but that you were drawing the rectangle over to the right.

Are you actually losing the dimension group – I mean lost forever – or is it just disappearing when you zoom and you can get back by zooming out or scrolling around?

I have noticed a difference as to whether you have Preferences set to Display Rulers or not. With rulers displayed, a zoom seems to focus on the centre of the page, whereas with no rulers displayed, it will zoom to the centre of the screen. But that's not really relevant to items disappearing!

Hopefully Eric will be along to solve the problem.

Cheers -- George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I always draw off to the right. then, when I'm done, I drag my drawing over, and resize to fit on the page.

I've tried it with rulers on, and off. Using CMD+ triggers this behavior on the next move.

George, could we possibly do a Zoom? I'd like to meet you after all these years, and maybe I can better describe and demonstrate the behavior.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,

The bug that I see, is that you can zoom outside the drawing area.
Theoretically, you can't and after the zoom you do, You should not see the rectangle that is outside the drawing area.

Why are you doing the drawing to the right and outside the drawing area, to move it after?

Cordialement.

Thank you george for your responses.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I’ve always thought of the entire window as my drawing area, and the paper size in the upper left corner. I don’t need those paper margins until I go to resize the doc for printing. My drawings are generally in 1/12 scale. I draw and dimension the piece, zooming as necessary to see what I need. Then, I drag it to the “paper” corner, and resize by percentage to fit and print, either on paper or as PDF. Is this not correct?

But my point remains: this has always worked for me, until 5.02.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mikerosen wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:18 pm I’ve always thought of the entire window as my drawing area, and the paper size in the upper left corner. I don’t need those paper margins until I go to resize the doc for printing. My drawings are generally in 1/12 scale. I draw and dimension the piece, zooming as necessary to see what I need. Then, I drag it to the “paper” corner, and resize by percentage to fit and print, either on paper or as PDF. Is this not correct?
Mike,

You can directly draw on the paper area and you will avoid the step to drag the drawing.
Mikerosen wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:18 pm But my point remains: this has always worked for me, until 5.02.
When you zoom out, you can see area (and objects if there is some) outside the paper area.
But if you zoom in enough, i.e. with paper area bigger than screen, you can't scroll outside the paper area.

If that doesn't worked like that before, it was a bug (or a feature ;))

Perhaps I have to change that to allow the scrolling outside the paper area until the objects outside if there is some.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Or, I can use the zoom tool, rather than the keyboard shortcuts. Drawing in the "paper zone" will be inconvenient, having the vertical and horizontal lines through my work (until resizing.)

I just have to reprogram my brain to use the Z.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Mikerosen wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 pm Or, I can use the zoom tool, rather than the keyboard shortcuts. Drawing in the "paper zone" will be inconvenient, having the vertical and horizontal lines through my work (until resizing.)

I just have to reprogram my brain to use the Z.
Hey Mike – you can toggle the page outline on and off by clicking the little "Page" icon in the group, bottom left. So you don't have to see the outlines all the time.

Cheers -- George
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

And to make drawing "outside of the page" with the current zoom rules, you can as I mentioned, set the Drawing size width to *2. Or any other multiple – doesn't have to be an even number – I work with width set to *1.25 so that the tools are outside my 'real' page (you can set the height to *2 etc. as well if you wish to get a lot of pages in both x and y directions). Then toggle the Page outlines off.

When you are done drawing, toggle the page outline on, drag your stuff to the first page and resize as usual; then set the Drawing size width to *1.

That way you can draw as you like to, and zoom as you are used to.

Old ClarisCad worked sort of that way - except you couldn't draw anything outside of the drawing page setup - so one tended to have a lot of pages to start with, specially if pasting a larger scale object to a smaller scale drawing.

I generally however, set my page size first (I mostly use A3 landscape for drawings that I issue) and draw at a scale so that what I am drawing fits the page OK. Really because I want my drawings to be true to scale when printed.

There is a new zoom control: do a mouse click where you want the zoom to center and then hit the zoom icons or do ⌘+ or ⌘- It will zoom in and out focused on where you clicked.

Cheers -- George