Parallels/Cutting tool

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Parallels/Cutting tool

Post by Mikerosen »

Eric,
When I tap the M (cutting tool) I get a parallels dialogue box. Is that an error? I'm using 5.02 on Mac 11.4. Also, in the Main toolbar, at the bottom, the Parallels tool is first, and I have to use the flyout to get to the cutting tool. Can they be reversed? Of course, if M will bring up the cutting tool, that won't matter!

Merci!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 12.54.13 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 12.54.13 PM.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 7841 times
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: Parallels/Cutting tool

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

The problem only happens if Static parallels is selected. If you select Dynamic parallels then the 'M' keystrokes work OK:

M = Parallels
MM = Cutting tool
MMM = Scissors
MMMM = Rotation tool

There is a similar problem with Cut and extend:

U = Cut and extend
UU = Cut and extend with chamfer
UUU should equal Cut and extend with fillet, but instead it just enters a 'u' in the L1 option of Cut and extend with chamfer.

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike and George,

This windows appear because the tools need some settings.
Number and Distance for parallels in static mode, here.

Perhaps I have to keep last settings in the preferences, to not display this windows at each new launch of RealCADD.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Good morning Eric!

Most of the tools with .. after them require a double-click to bring up their preferences panel, which works well and seems logical. And a quick double, triple or quadruple keystroke moves you horizontally along the related tools, both those with .. and those without. All good :mrgreen:

But "Parallels – Static", "Cut and extend with chamfer" and "Cut and extend with fillet" all bring up their preferences panel with a single click - which is a bit inconsistent. And you can't use the keystroke UUU to get to Cut and extend with fillet.

If you delete everything in the Parallel – Dynamic preferences panel and then double-click it has defaulted to 0 in the No. box – so it has provided itself with at least one setting – which is perhaps why MM and MMM and MMMM will always work if Dynamic is selected ????

However "Cut and extend with chamfer" also defaults to L1=0 but UUU doesn't work .....

It would be good if they all worked consistently either with an initial default value or the stored last value, or something ...

Cheers -- George

PS - The Rotation tool has .. but double clicking doesn't bring up anything!
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

George,

I wasn't aware of the double and triple tap. I've been using the mouse to access the "inner" tiles. That will help a lot, thanks!

Eric,

Yes, saving preferences and settings would help a lot! Merci.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

It took me a while to realize this too! Really when M stopped working for the cutting tool and I discovered MM worked (actually I think I had to ask Eric ...).

So, working from the top, you can do:

Esc, S, H, Z
A, AA
L, LL, LLL, LLLL
R, RR, RRR, RRRR
O, OO, OOO, OOOO
D, DD, DDD, DDDD
Y, YY, YYY, YYYY
Q, QQ, QQQ
QQQQ, QQQQQ, QQQQQQ
U, UU, but UUU doesn't work unless some data has already been entered in the UU (chamfer) panel.
M, MM, MMM, MMMM – but only if Dynamic Parallels is selected, or data has previously been entered in the Static Parallels panel

It's the last two that really need to be rationalized so they fit with all the others.

Six Q's boggles the mind a bit :mrgreen: but it does work.

I have to say that the only keystroke that I regularly use is MM – but the others are there and other users may use them more regularly than I do!

I've used capitals above, but on the keyboard you just hit the letters – no need to use the shift key.

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George and Mike,

A new beta is available.

Thanks for your feedbacks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Works great now!