Freeze

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Freeze

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I had a drawing freeze up completely today.

I have posted the file at http://whisstock.com/055_011_27_spreader_fitting.rcad.

I was working on the little image of a screw top left – I wanted to duplicate and move it so that I had four of them around the periphery of circle at 90º to each other. I don't quite understand how to do that anyway, so perhaps you could also explain to me how the "duplicate and move circular" functions – I'm probably being a bit dense :D

Anyway I set it how I thought it should be and clicked – a turn cursor came up and the the drawing froze. The cursor became an "end" cursor but wouldn't select anything. Luckily the lasso still worked so I was able to capture the various bits of the drawing and transfer them to a new one.

George
Eric Pousse

Re: Freeze

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonsoir George,

There are bad objects in your file.
I have a command to clean files but in your case some bad objects crash this function.
So I have updated it.

To do what you want, you can use "symmetry with an axis" :
- duplicate your group
- call "symmetry with an axis"
- draw a vertical or horizontal line from the center of your circle of reference
- redo the same with the 2 group and the other symmetry

or use "duplic and move circular" :
- select your group
- call "duplicate and move"
- choose "circular"
- in First circle, enter 3 times on angle 270 ° and check turn copies

Thanks
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Re: Freeze

Post by debenriver »

Thank you very much Eric for correcting the file.

I have experimented with Symmetry and Duplicate following your instructions and I now understand them properly. Symmetry is especially useful for much of what am doing right now.

I have found over the years that with any program you are constantly learning about it as you get more and more proficient and want to do repetitive things faster – and then you start to explore the menus more deeply. At first there are simply too many menu items and it is overwhelming. For instance I have been using Duplicate and Move all the time – but not looking beyond the default One Direction, until I got fed up with positioning things around a circle by hand and drawing lots of lines to get it accurate!

Even after using ClarisCad from it's inception until I started using RealCADD a couple of years ago, I was still discovering better ways to do things!

Once again, many thanks for your help

George