Use Of Quartz

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Hellkell

Use Of Quartz

Post by Hellkell »

I am wondering what the advantage to using Quartz is.
Thanks,
Kevin
debenriver

Re: Use Of Quartz

Post by debenriver »

Quartz gives enhanced graphics performance. The only difference I have found with an engineering style program like RealCADD, is that inserted special characters (like ➢ or ✵ or ∆) are rendered correctly with quartz turned on, but not if it is turned off.

And I had to ask Eric this because I had quartz turned off by mistake! :D

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

And with Quartz you have anti-aliasing but it is slower.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Eric ...

I hadn't realised quartz might slow things down – with big drawings with a lot of detail I do have speed problems and I often draw in layers to speed things up. But of course I then forget to change layers and I get various bits of the drawing on the wrong layer ...

I just tried turning quartz off on a big drawing with six layers, and with all layers visible and it was really substantially faster to move around the drawing - really super-fast in fact. Whereas with quartz on it is really only workable with some of the layers hidden

All my drawings are saved as PDF files for digital issue to customers. A few as JPG files for website display. If I draw with quartz turned off will there be any difference in the final PDF or JPG? And if so, can I simply turn quartz on when I am ready to make the PDF or JPG? I rarely actually print anything on paper.

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

If you use only standard fonts, I think that the best to do pdf files is to use "Save as" -> "Postscript file", open the postscript file with "Preview" and save it to have a pdf file.
Like this, the pdf file can be very smallest and better if you have many texts.
I think that Quartz does not change when you do pdf via printing or jpeg.
For jpeg, png, etc, remember that the picture is made with the zoom used to display the picture when you call the command.

Thanks
Eric Pousse