Scale Question

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Hellkell

Scale Question

Post by Hellkell »

I am not quite sure how the scale setting under the layers window works. Does it just give you an approximate ruler unit length per page? i.e 1/50 (under feet units)would give me approximately 50 feet? why wouldn't it give you exact measurements instead of 57.25' as in this example?

Why would you want to use different scales on the same drawing with different layers?

Thanks,

Kevin
debenriver

Re: Scale Question

Post by debenriver »

The scale setting is just the usual engineering way of making a drawing to fit whatever page size you have when you want to print it. So, if you have something 60' long (a boat in my case) and you want to print the drawing on, say A3 paper you need to choose a scale so it will fit – in this case 1/50 would make the drawing of the boat 60÷50 long = 1.2' = 14.4", so it would fit nicely on an A3 sheet of paper (which is 297 × 420 = 11.69' × 16.54".

This is in contrast to some drawing programs which draw everything full size and then scale them when you come to print. So your boat drawing (on the computer) would be 60' long and when you came to print it you would select a printing scale factor of 1/50 (2%) so that it would fit your A3 paper.

The scale settings are entirely accurate on RealCADD, so you can scale things up and down (using the Scale tool) and then give them their new scale – and you will find that everything is still perfectly accurate.

I often use different scales on different layers. For example drawing a boat structure at 1:10 with detail at 1:2 – so I have two layers: the general plan at 1:10 and the detail at 1:2. Both will appear on the final printed or downloaded drawing.

George
Hellkell

Post by Hellkell »

Hi George,

I think that makes sense. Thanks for answering my questions!

Kevin
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thanks George for your responses.

On architectural drawings, it is the same, you can also have 2 different scales like George explains one (1/50 or 1/100) for general plan and another (1/20 or 1/10) for details.

At the difference of Autocad, RealCADD is a WYSIWYG software, what You See Is What You Get.
Eric Pousse