quartz and text

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

quartz and text

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I have been running with quartz deselected for a while now because it is quicker on big complicated drawings.

The one thing I have found is that the line spacing on text varies according to whether quartz is selected or not – the line spacing is much greater with quartz deselected. So if I am working with quartz deselected and I open a drawing that was originally made with quartz selected, the text is all wrong (much greater line spacing) and often overlaps other text, drawing elements etc. Easy enough to fix of course by just selecting quartz .

My question is – is this simply a function of quartz and tApple, or is it something that can be addressed in RealCADD?

4.31 seems to be running flawlessly – no "align" problems :D

Many thanks

George
Eric Pousse

Re: quartz and text

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Can you show me the difference?
I have tried and I don't see it.

Thank you George.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Experimenting more, it seems to happen at 100 magnification – but in an odd way.

I will email you a drawing 155_004_001. At the top towards the right there is a table of "Offsets for Inner Edge of Frame" When you open it with quartz on, it will be at an indeterminate magnification and it will be OK. Scroll up the drawing until you see the table.

Deselect quartz and it will be OK. Select 100 magnification on the selector bottom left in the window or the zoom click and the line spacing in text in the table will increase so that it is much longer than the table boundaries.

Select 200 (or 400 etc) magnification and it will be OK. Select 100 magnification again and it will be stretched.

Close it without saving anything (quartz still turned off). Open it again, quartz still deselected and the text will now be properly spaced but in the wrong place – it will be higher up bodily in the table so the data is over the title. Selecting quartz and/or changing the magnification makes no difference – the text stays properly spaced but in the wrong place - except at 100 magnification it is stretched but still in the wrong place. You can't correct it by selecting quartz.

Close the drawing. Set quartz to selected and then open it again – all will be well at all magnifications, until quartz is deselected and the magnification is set to 100.

I know this all sounds a bit complicated and an unlikely chain of events – but I discovered it when I opened several earlier drawings (drawn with 4.30 and an earlier 4.31) with quartz off (they were all drawn with quartz on) – and the text was all over the place! I panicked a bit because they had all been converted to PDF's and were available online. However of course all the PDF's were fine and then I started to experiment to see what might have happened!

Many thanks

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Thanks for the file.

I watched your drawing and I saw the differences on the texts between with and without Quartz.
It is more visible on texts with multi lines in lists.
The position of each line of text is calculated with basic functions (TextAscent, TextHeight, etc) on which I can't act.
In your case, I think that the best will be to use only single line texts to fill your list.

Thank you again George.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Thanks for looking at this!

It's not a real problem (no pun intended) as it only affects the drawing under certain specific conditions and never seems to cause a permanent change. Now I know when it happens I can deal with it quite easily. And, as I said, for public use all my drawings are converted to PDF or DXF so as long as I have a process for this everything will be fine. And I only turn quartz off for large drawings to speed things up while I am creating them.

Once again, many thanks.

George