Feature requests

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Feature requests

Post by Mikerosen »

It would be nice if there was a keystroke command, like ESC, to default back to the selection tool. This is present in a number of other programs.

I would love it if, after drawing a line of undetermined length, the program defaulted to the edit box, with the cursor in the LENGTH space. This would make it very easy to:
Select Line tool.
Click and drag, release.
Tap in number for length of line.
ENTER.

Starting another line, or switching to another tool would automatically dismiss the EDIT box.

The same action would also be helpful for sides of a rectangle or square, and diameter of a circle. It's not a big thing, but it does remove a few mouse actions.

Merci!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: Feature requests

Post by debenriver »

That would be a very nice feature!

I would add a couple:

Replicate the old ClarisCad shift–apple–c whereby, if you break a polygon to lines (by using option-apple-l, you can rejoin it by selecting any of the broken down lines and then hitting shift-apple-c (or whatever) – which selected all the lines that were connected and joinable; then grouping or converting back to polygon would group or join all of them. This is because in yacht design you get a lot of polylines which are very long without a lot of curvature and you often need to break them to do something (trim the ends for example) – then it is very tedious to select them all again to rejoin them. Specially because boat lines are often very close together, so you can't use the cursor to select them in batches. I've evolved several techniques to get over this, but none are as good as a simple command!

Better NURBS, splines or Bezier curves that can be smoothed or unsmoothed at will – and smoothed either to the control points, or smoothed to approximate the control points (this not very useful for me – but would be for others).

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mikerosen wrote:I would love it if, after drawing a line of undetermined length, the program defaulted to the edit box, with the cursor in the LENGTH space. This would make it very easy to:
Select Line tool.
Click and drag, release.
ENTER.

Starting another line, or switching to another tool would automatically dismiss the EDIT box.
Mike,

Try this :
Select Line tool.
Click and drag, release.
Tap 7 times on Tab
ENTER.

Start another line or other object.

Merci George for your answers.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Ok – I can see how that will work – and with the other dimensional data in the Edit window.

It would be nice to be able automate a common requirement like this – I've tried several times to make a macro for some of the RealCadd commands that don't have a keyboard shortcut, but never with any success. Any suggestions ....

:)

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Tap 7 times? I might as well use the mouse.

Maybe move the Length box to the top.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro