Double lines?

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Double lines?

Post by Mikerosen »

Is it possible to draw a double line, of a specified width? I often draw shelves in my cabinets, usually one inch thick. Yes, I know how to draw a single line, and then use either parallel or duplicate and move, but a double line would be a nice option.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Re: Double lines?

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,

RealCADD has a mode of help for all the windows, pallets etc, by displaying small windows.
These windows are displayed when the cursor remains on the tool or icon for a few moments without moving.

If you do this on the parallel tool, you will see that it is possible to do what you want...
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I'm sorry, Eric, but I can't figure out how to make that work. I see the callout box, that mentions using the OPT key, and I see the dialogue box, but I can't get any further.

Could you please give me a step-by-step example?

Merci.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike

You select the parallel tool, holding down the option key.

Set Parallel in/left to the dimension you want (say 1"). Leave Parallel out/right completely blank

Select the Line tool

Hold down the Option key and then draw your line. You will get a double line the specified distance apart.

With this setting, if you draw from left to right, the second line will be above the "base" line. If you draw from top to bottom, the second line will be to the left of the "base" line. If you draw the other way around (right to left or bottom to top) the opposite will apply.

You can use all the usual attractions (C-centre, P-perpendicular, E-end etc) to control where the "base" line will start and the shift key to constrain the angle. If you want an angled pair of lines at none of your constrained angles, then you need set up the endpoints (by a pair of intersecting lines is easiest) and the intersect attraction will do it.

If you use the Parallel out/right setting (with the Parallel in/left blank) you will get the opposite effects!

If you set both Parallel settings to something you will get three lines, with the "base" line being the centre one.

I think this works with other tools too… option + arc, circle or rectangle

George :)
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

George,

I think the step I missed was that, after setting the distance, you have to go back to the LINE tool to draw. In DB, that double line was included in the line tool, so I thought of it that way, rather than setting in the parallel tool.

Where would I be without your help?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you George for your responses !
Eric Pousse