dashed lines?

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

dashed lines?

Post by Mikerosen »

How do I draw a dashed line, or convert a drawn line to dashed?

I found the Dashes... window, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Unless I'm doing something wrong, again.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: dashed lines?

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike!

Edit >> Dashes is to set the specific dashed pattern that you want. You may find that you need to do this at some point if the pre-installed dashes are not what you want. Depends a bit on the scale of the drawing.

Window >> Attributs is where you select which dashes you would like your line to exhibit. So draw the line and then check the fourth box down (marked – – –). This will turn the line into a dashed line. To select which dashes you would like the line to be (as opposed to dashed or not dashed) click on the "– – –" next to the checkbox and select the particular dashes you would like – it is these that are set in Edit >> Dashes.

Similarly with arrows. Edit >> Arrows allows you to customize the arrows (type, angle, size etc). Window >> Attributs is where you select for the line to have one or two arrows – check the checkbox for either end or both ends. Similarly click on the arrows <–––––> to select the type of arrow you want.

The Attributs window (Attributes might be better!!) is also where you select the thickness of a line (you set these in Edit >> Lines). I use 0.01 pixels as standard and then these never get too thick when you print, save as a PDF or whatever.

You also set the line color and the opacity (default 100% – but you can enter any number and hit Enter)

You also set "Back" here – which is the background color for text and the fill for objects like polygons, circles, rectangles etc. Again, you can also set to opacity.

George :)
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Once again, user error. Combined with no helpful Help files.

Thanks, George, as always.

A suggestion to Eric: since that Attributs window is so powerful, why not make it available when right-clicking on a line?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mikerosen wrote:A suggestion to Eric: since that Attributs window is so powerful, why not make it available when right-clicking on a line?
Mike,

When object(s) is selected, a right click displays the action menu.
When no object is selected, it is a "tools menu" according the prefs.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Or I could program it to show, like the edit window. OK, thanks.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mikerosen wrote:Or I could program it to show, like the edit window. OK, thanks.
I don't understand ?
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

What I meant was, choose show the Attributs window on my workspace, just like the Edit window. I just have to get used to them both "windowshading" as I draw.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

What I often do Mike is to set up my page size and everything when I start. Then either in the Drawing Size window that pops up, or in Edit >> Drawing Size, I set the width of the drawing to *1.25. Then I position the various tools in the top right hand corner of the screen. My personal preference is to have Edit far right at the top with Tools to the left alongside it. Under Edit I have Attributs and Text. Under Tools I have Snap (normally with ECIP selected).

The advantage of this is that the tools are off the working area of the drawing, so I don't have to keep moving them around, which is a bit of a pain. Under some magnifications it is also otherwise hard to scroll to the far right of the drawing and this solves that too.

When the drawing is all done I revert to Drawing Size width = *1

If you save your drawing with the tools positioned where you want them, all future new drawings will open like this, with the tools open and grouped (on the top right in my case) because RealCADD remembers the last settings.

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I'm beginning to figure that out. The 1.25 trick is a good one. Thanks!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA