Maintain line thickness

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Maintain line thickness

Post by Mikerosen »

As I zoom in or out on a drawing, the line thickness scales, as well. It would be nice if that would remain constant, regardless of zoom.

My old program kept the line thickness the same.

Is that something that would be possible in a future release?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: Maintain line thickness

Post by debenriver »

Mike

If you set your general drawing line thickness to 0.01 pixels (Edit >> Line's thickness >> Menu 1 = 0.01), it will stay constant (or appear to do so) up to at least 3200 magnification – and I think up to 128000 magnification. After that it starts to thicken. That might depend a bit on your screen resolution and so on. 0.01 prints a fine line nicely too.

That's probably a hack, but it works! ClarisCad used to be the same, whether you selected inches, mm or points for the line thickness – I just drew at 0.01mm.

When you are drawing, it will show up in the Attributs pane – third box down – line thickness menu. If you make it Menu 1 as above, it will be the default.

When you hatch something it doesn't pick up the Menu 1 line thickness – it defaults to 0.25, which is a pain in the butt and does not display well at all (at least on the sort of drawings that I do). You can change this under Edit >> Hatch >> Line = 0.01 "Apply". And this seems to last until you quit RealCadd, when it seems to default back to 0.25. Perhaps Eric can enlarge on this a bit for us? Perhaps it is linked to a drawing rather than globally?

Generally I have not had too much success with custom hatches and textures – they seem to disappear after a restart.

In Preferences >> Dimensions >> Line you can set it to 0.01 and that is global and stays set after a restart.

Cheers – George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Thanks, George.
Actually my bad. I meant to post this question on the iPD side. That's where I really notice the problem. It doesn't bother me as much in RC. But I will definitely try the suggestion. I guess Eric will see this, so no point in moving it...
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

I wish I had an iPad – I did download iPD on the iPhone but really that's too small for serious work. Though I guess with a stylus you can do on-site sketches and notes. And if I was still doing survey work and so on I think I would find it useful.

I use an 11' MacBook Air – which is not dissimilar size-wise from an iPad. I started life with a Mac SE 30, 9" mono screen and the first complete boat on that was a 62' in aluminium alloy – built entirely from my drawings without reference to anything else – so I am used to (actually like) small screens, specially with todays resolution. Now I find a big screen a nuisance! Before Mac I had Apple I's and Apple II's – so I go back a long way with the brand!

I will be interested to hear what Eric says about hatches and so on ...

George :)
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour,
Mikerosen wrote:As I zoom in or out on a drawing, the line thickness scales, as well. It would be nice if that would remain constant, regardless of zoom.

My old program kept the line thickness the same.

Is that something that would be possible in a future release?
Yes Mike it is possible but not WYSIWYG...

Yes George, the hatches line's width is not saved, that is a bug.

I will work on this 2 points.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Thanks, Eric. That would be nice to see.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA