Suggestion

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Suggestion

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

A couple of things that you might consider in a upgrade sometime:

1. Autosize line. This is any line configuration (typically a plain line with an arrow each end) with the length of the line dimension set in the middle. It make dimensioning drawings, where the standard dimensioning tools aren't very suitable, much quicker. See example image:
Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 08.19.35.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 08.19.35.png (40.09 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
If it could be added to the Line window this would be perfect! I have tried several times to create it using Scripts but either my coding skills are not up to it, or it isn't possible with the tools available. At the moment I make it with the Line tool (arrow each end) and then check the length of the line in the Edit menu, then type the dimension, give it a white background and put it on top of the line, using Centre Attraction. With the horizontal dimensions I type a space before and after the number so that the line doesn't crowd the dimension.

2. Being able to lock an object, but still allowing it to be part of an align process – so the locked object stays still and the other object(s) move to align with it. This is often useful for centring objects to a particular position, or aligning multiple objects that are both (say) left and right of the locked object, to the locked object position.

Just suggestions :D

George
Eric Pousse

Re: Suggestion

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

1) Why don't you use the dimension tool?
With it, you can have only a line (with arrows if you want) by setting L1 = 0 and L2 = 2 (if L2 chosen) and the dimension but not centered.

2) Yes, good suggestion ! I will add it.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Eric,

I understand the difference between L2 and L3. But what is L1?

And, is could it be made possible to break the line, and center the dimension?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour Mike,
Mikerosen wrote:I understand the difference between L2 and L3. But what is L1?
Mikerosen wrote:And, is could it be made possible to break the line, and center the dimension?
Not directly, but you can ungroup the dimension, select the text, put it a white back color and move it forward.
It is what I made for the 3,951111
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Ok this worked for me (on the drawing I posted):

I drew a line at the start on the right hand side. The used Cmd-M to repeat it at -200 intervals. Then trimmed all the lines top and bottom. That is what I usually do and up until now I have used those as the dimension lines as per original question.

The set L1 to 0 and select L3 and set it to 0.

Then drag from the end point of a trimmed line to the other end point, drag away and then back again until the Centre Attraction of the trimmed line shows – then release. That produces a dimensioned line directly on the dimension location, which is what I wanted. :D

Then select and delete the original trimmed line beneath it. I have to to be sure not to turn the polycurve into polylines before I dimension else I select and delete a lot of those too ...

For a series of dimension lines around a curve, where the witness lines have to be variable lengths I set L1 to 10 and L3 to 5 and this worked well.

Is it possible to add the ability to select for the witness lines (but not the dimension line) to be dashed – with a drawing with a lot of dimensions you get such a plethora of solid lines (the actual object being drawn and the witness lines) it can get confusing. And I have to confess I like dashed witness lines because I have drawn like this for over 40 years ...

And I still think it would be very good to be able to select for the dimension to centrally interrupt the dimension line as well as be alongside it. It saves a lot of space on a crowded drawing (and I like the look of it :D ). I know you can ungroup and put a white background on, and move it to the centre of the dimension line – but this rather defeats the purpose and takes us back to my original question! And it's a lot of work with a lot of dimensions.

One minor glitch I noticed – if you want to change the colour of a dimension group, only the line changes, not the dimension. If you double-click on the dimension it selects itself as text and then you can change its colour. I only found this when I mistakenly made a dimension in colour and wanted to change it back to black.

As a general point, the ability to click on text in a group and change it without un-grouping is very nice – not something you can usually do.

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

I must confess, then, I don't understand the difference between L1, L2, and L3. I thought I did, but I was wrong...

I guess I need a full explanation of the Dimensions options. Sorry!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

A little example, with 3 rectangles :
- first dimensions with L1 and L2 fixed
- second dimensions with L1 and L3 fixed

and the two made with attractions on points A, B, C, D, E, F...
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Mike:

L1 is the distance the witness lines extend beyond the dimension line

L2 sets the length of the witness lines from the dimension line towards the object being dimensioned. So if you set L1 to 10 and L2 to 50 the witness lines will extend 50 px from the dimension line towards the object and 10 px from the dimension line away from the object; total length of witness lines is 50 + 10 = 60.

This applies however far you drag the dimension group away from the object.

L3 sets the distance from the start of the witness lines to the object. So if you select L3 and set L3 to 10, the witness lines will start 10 px away from the object and extend however far you drag the dimension group. This is particularly useful with curved or angled objects). Here is an example with L1 set to 10 and L3 set to 10:
Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 18.07.30.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 18.07.30.png (14.62 KiB) Viewed 9676 times
Here is the same example with L1 set to 10 and L2 set to 50:
Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 18.17.17.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 18.17.17.png (14.95 KiB) Viewed 9676 times
It is pretty well thought out and provides a very flexible dimensioning system. I just wish that the dimension itself could be centred in the dimension line as an alternative to sitting above it!! I'm having a little trouble persuading Eric that this would be a good thing to do .... :D

ClarisCad had a feature called Autosize Line – which was essentially a line with its length dimension in the centre. If you additionally set the line to have arrows both ends, then is was a good way of dimensioning things, so I got very used to dimensioning that way and arranging my drawings to suit.

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Thanks, George. That helps a lot.

And unfortunately, that trick with the white background doesn't work in iPD. Or rather, it works on an object line, but not a dimension line.
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Mike:

Can't you ungroup the dimension group so you get a dimension line (with arrows or whatever) and a number which is text. Then give the text a white background. Then, if necessary, move it to the front, so it will sit on top of the dimension line, not under it. Then move it over the dimension line and centre it. I though you could do that in iPD?? It's a bit convoluted but should be possible? I have only "played" with a demo iPD so I'm not very familiar with it however.

Cheers - George