Manual update

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Manual update

Post by debenriver »

I have updated my RealCADD manual for RealCADD version 4.60.

Also corrected some minor errors. And added a new section "Projects", which doesn't contain much yet – a short discussion of interoperability between RealCADD and iPocket Draw and a second discussion about getting old legacy ClarisCAD files into RealCADD.

More to come soon - I hope!

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: Manual update

Post by Eric Pousse »

Very good George !

Thank you for your time.

I have searched the file format of ClarisCAD drawings but never find it...
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Re: Manual update

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric
I have searched the file format of ClarisCAD drawings but never find it...
Oh – it's not worth the effort really – there can only be very few die-hard Claris users out there now. But probably rather more (like me) with a lot of legacy drawings. Using Claris Graphics Translator (which came as part of the 2.0v3 release), does a pretty good job of converting ClarisCad to DXF. I have tried some other programs that can open ClarisCad files and they actually don't do as well.

And there is no current system that can run ClarisCad except under emulation.

Of course there are some problems, but 25 years is a hell of a long time in technology and computer programming, so it's actually quite encouraging that it is possible at all!

I moved to RealCADD because I needed to produce DXF files for CNC cutting of sailboat parts. ClarisCad, even with the Graphics Translator, simply couldn't handle the accuracy required or the physical size of full scale drawings. And, intellectually and professionally, I needed to use a program that would run on current computers. I've not regretted the move.

Cheers -- George