4.60 Text etc.

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

4.60 Text etc.

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I downloaded the two new versions! There are a still a few things I've found:

In Cocoa, text is having trouble – Left, Centre and Right justification do not work properly because it seems that the program is only picking up the first line of a block of text instead of all of it:
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 09.24.37.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 09.24.37.png (8.94 KiB) Viewed 7663 times
Also this causes the program to stall, with the clock icon (not the spinning wheel) coming on indefinitely. You can resolve this by selecting another tool or in fact by just mousing over the Tools pallet..

Text (even a single line) is also difficult to type as it keeps disappearing when you select it and start to type – so you don't know where you are.

In Carbon a block of text is better but still not correct:
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 10.21.22.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 10.21.22.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 7663 times
So justification works – but aligning several text blocks (say a single line of text with a triple line of text) to the bottom doesn't work accurately.

Same clock icon problem.

In Cocoa, Save also brings the clock icon on indefinitely – again you can resolve it by selecting a tool etc.

In both versions, the line tools don't currently work with the command line in L-mode. X-mode and D-mode do work. In L-mode the line simply disappears after you enter the data. Doesn't exist if you hit ⌘A.

And you can no longer use the Delete key to delete text in a command line box – if you make a mistake entering data for example – which is a bit of a pain.

And a question :D I know the basic difference between cocoa and carbon, only in that cocoa has gradually replaced carbon as the Mac API. Is the carbon version of RealCADD for Mac's running OSX 10.7 or lower and cocoa 10.8 or greater. Is one 32bit and the other 64bit? Both run Ok on my laptop with 10.11.5 and Carbon doesn't seem to be slower, though I haven't tried on a very large drawing yet. Should Cocoa be faster and drawings port better to iPocket Draw?

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: 4.60 Text etc.

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

I don't know if I will be able to terminate the cocoa version...
Many things change as you see. Now the texts with more than one line.
Don't use the cocoa version to create texts with more than one line, I have to fix this.

For the command line, I will see the L-mode.
When the command line has the focus, the Delete key can have two functions :
- if an object is selected, you can delete it with this key and this works because the key is transferred to the window,
- if a text is entered, you can delete it and this does not work.
I have to test this two different way.

The big difference between carbon and cocoa for RealCADD is the API for drawing.
With carbon, you can use the old (but good for CAD) quickdraw or the new quartz which is slower but with antialiasing (for example),
With cocoa, it is only quartz.
To compile RealCADD in carbon version, I have to use an old version of Xojo (the development tool that I use).
The last version of Xojo can compile in 32 or 64 bits but the API for script is only 32 bits for the moment.
I think that in 1 or 2 version(s) of RealCADD, the carbon version will be abandonned.
I don't know if cocoa should be faster.
But in all tests that I made, RealCADD carbon is faster than cocoa.
Cocoa will not change drawings port with iPocket Draw. Why do you ask for that?

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

No worries! Programming can be a real pain sometimes! :mrgreen:
But in all tests that I made, RealCADD carbon is faster than cocoa.
Interesting ... Carbon certainly seems the more stable at the moment. I will use that for the time being. It might be good if the About window told which version you have up and running – I do get confused testing both of them! The only way I can tell the difference easily is by being able to select (or not) Edit data.
Cocoa will not change drawings port with iPocket Draw. Why do you ask for that?
Well I think it is really important to be able to transfer drawings seamlessly from one platform to another – an iPad out on site say and a Mac in the office. And i was wondering if carbon versions would transfer or whether you had to have cocoa – I didn't know if iOS would support carbon ...

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

There is a difference between carbon (on the left) and cocoa (on the right) version on the pallets :

Titles and popup menu are different.

There is no difference in files between carbon and cocoa.
Because RealCADD is multi OS from the beginning, I have made the choice to write the files of drawings in text format.

Thank you et bon week-end.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Eric

OK - got it! :D :D

Many thanks

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour à tous,

A new 4.60 build is available for test :
Cocoa version
Carbon version
Carbon old version (max OS 10.6)
Windows version
Linux version

Thanks !
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Good morning Eric!

Both the carbon and cocoa versions are hugely improved in how they handle text :mrgreen:

Both were a bit odd previously with text disappearing as you typed, or tried to make changes to existing text, and text alignment difficulties – to the point where I had gone back to 4.51b10 for complicated drawings.

They also seem to handle the command line better. I was getting some odd effects, with the cocoa command line appearing intermittently on the carbon version (only on drawings that I had previously opened in cocoa but was now working on in carbon...). Now all seems good.

And stability seems excellent – I was having a few stability issues with the previous build too.

I will use the cocoa version as standard now I think.

Many thanks

George