Fill irregular object with texture

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
Mikerosen

Fill irregular object with texture

Post by Mikerosen »

I'm trying to show a section of a fireplace surround with an arch, filled with a texture.
arch.png
arch.png (7.87 KiB) Viewed 23034 times
When I select all the elements, and apply the texture, this is what I get.
filled.png
filled.png (12.1 KiB) Viewed 23034 times
The only way I have been able to succeed is to create the entire rectangle, texture it, and then put another rectangle and arch with white fill in front of it. That works.

Is there an easier way?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mac OS Ventura 13.1, iOS 11.4.1 on iPad Pro
debenriver

Re: Fill irregular object with texture

Post by debenriver »

Yes there is!

Create the fireplace as you have. Make sure the the ends of the vertical lines are truly joined on the ends of the radius top. Make sure the the other straight lines are joined at their ends.

Select all. Convert to polygon (⌥⌘P). Apply the texture. Converting to polygon will make the radius with a lot of very short, joined lines – which will look like a curve. You won't be able to measure the actual radius any more.

Things that can go wrong:

The ends of the radius were not truly joined to the ends of the vertical lines.

The other vertical and horizontal lines were not truly joined.

If this happens you will get maybe two or three polygons because only lines that are joined end-to-end can form a polygon. Make them back to lines (⌥⌘L) and fix the problems.

The answer is in how you construct the shape. With vertical and horizontal lines use Snap as you draw them, or do a trim (with the Cutting Tool), or use the Cut & Extend tool – with the last method, be sure to select over trimmed or cut intersections as there can be little portions of lines left that need to be deleted.

With the radius – the most certain method is to use the Arc by Diameter tool to create it – otherwise use the Cut with (radiused) Fillet tool but be sure to select and delete any stray bits of line after this.

I know it sounds a bit complex written down like this but in fact it is very simple and works fine.

To check if you have all joined lines OK, select one of them and hit ⌘J – it should travel round all the joined lines and select them. You can make them a different color, to see if there are any non-included lines – which makes it easier to fix.

Once you get a grip of this, you construct things with that end in view from the start.

Cheers

George
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

In fact there is no need to convert to polygon. All you actually have to do is select the radius and convert to lines (⌥⌘L). Then select all and texture.

As long as the various lines are properly joined, this will do the job just as well. :D

George
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Mike

I made a quick and dirty screen video of how to do it:

http://www.whisstock.com/fireplace.mov

Hope this helps!!

Cheers

George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Mike

You have this result because some objects are not exactly joined as George said.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

As always, thank you, both!
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

One further question, partly related.

I know how to draw an object in color, by selecting the color, checking the box, and drawing the object. Can I add color to an object after it has been drawn?
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

One further question, partly related.

I know how to draw an object in color, by selecting the color, checking the box, and drawing the object. Can I add color to an object after it has been drawn?
Yes – just select the object(s) and click the color you want (line or fill). In fact you can do pretty much anything to a selected object - change the line weight - change the opacity of colors – change the dashes etc. Textures and hatches are objects too and can be changed too – color line weight - dashes etc etc. They can also be ungrouped, but you have to use ⌥⌘L yo do it, not ⌘U. Then you can work on the individual lines making up the hatch or texture, which can occasionally be useful.

Cheers

George
Mikerosen

Post by Mikerosen »

Did you guys sneak into my house last night, and reset my computer? Because I could swear that's what I was doing, and it didn't work. Now, it does.

<grumble, grumble>
Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA, USA

debenriver

Post by debenriver »

!! :mrgreen: !!