Save reminder

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Save reminder

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

"Save the drawing every .... minutes" is a really useful feature. Auto-save is a real nuisance on CAD drawings (in my opinion :mrgreen: ) and I'm glad it's not implemented in RealCADD.

When you are working on a complex project - like a boat design for example – you often have a lot of earlier drawings open to use as references, take measurements from etc etc. You don't want to be saving that sort of temporary stuff, specially if you are working on a finished, issued drawing and not a copy.

So a save reminder is a good tool and leaves whether to save or not in your hands. But it would be really nice if it could be implemented on a drawing by drawing basis rather than in general preferences. Otherwise, when I have perhaps ten drawings open and I've done something temporary of most of them – the save reminder keeps coming up all the time and bonging at me and it gets a bit irritating as well as interrupting my work flow! And apart from the drawing I am actually working on, I don't want to save any changes. Yet I want to keep the save reminder for the drawing I am working on – otherwise I can draw for half a day and get so immersed in the drawing that I forget to save – so if there is a crash, I lose a lot of work.

Not a big deal of course :D

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: Save reminder

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Yes it is a good idea !

I will implement it.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

I have uploaded a new beta with this feature : RealCADD 4.51b4

I have added a new icon in the bottom-left : "A" for Autosave which can be ON or OFF
Click on this icon switch the Autosave pref without change the general prefs until you edit them.

This new beta is builded with the names of functions included.
Therefore, if you have again crashes, the logs will be more explicit (I hope) because I don't have found the problem that you have with the file that you send me.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Good morning Eric!

Works perfectly :D

It's made a real difference actually – now I leave the Save Reminder enabled in Preferences and simply switch it off on the drawings I am using just for reference, or measurement etc. No unnecessary bongs and I get to save regularly what I am working on ... what could be better.

Ref. the crashes: since I posted about it, not ONE crash! As stable as a rock. It must have been some peculiarity in my computer. Posting obviously scared it into submission :mrgreen:

Many thanks

George