Saving to dxf or dwg crash

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Saving to dxf or dwg crash

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

While experimenting with creating files in different formats to be able to create SVG files I found that with some RealCADD drawings I get a crash when I save to DXF or DWG. Not all drawings and even with a drawing that does crash, some layers are OK (selecting only visible layers)

The error message is:
Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 09.22.30.png
Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 09.22.30.png (91.3 KiB) Viewed 5599 times
I guess the files that don't crash, don't have rectangles in them?? Though a test drawing with just rectangles saved perfectly OK. And I experimented by removing all rectangles and rounded rectangles from a drawing and it still crashed. So that doesn't totally make sense!

I also cleaned up the drawing I was using so there were no empty strings on the layers I was working with, but it still crashed ...

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: Saving to dxf or dwg crash

Post by Eric Pousse »

Thank you George, I was very close to release the version 5.02...

It would have been a pity to do it with another bug.
I will check for it.

Cordialement
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

Can you send me a file with this problem?
I can't reproduce it.

Thanks
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

I have fixed this bug and another.
Can you try RealCADD 5.02b7, please?

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

That seems to have fixed the problem!

I wouldn't normally want to convert such a complex drawing (as the one I sent, that had problems) but I was experimenting with converting to DXF and then opening in Inkscape to convert to SVG.

Even now that RealCADD saves the drawing as a dxf (or dwg) file, Inkscape won't open it – I have tried further converting it to various DXF flavours (I think Inkscape wants R13 (Binary?)). Inkscape will open that but with no content!

Actually I hate DXF!!!!!

RealCADD will open the dxf file it created with no problem ...

Many thanks

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Yes DXF and DWG are complicated formats, only to prevent others from opening them simply and allow Autodesk to have fewer competitors...
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

Just a bit more information of saving to DXF vis à vis Inkscape. The problem appears to be text. If I remove all text from a RealCADD drawing and save to dxf, Inkscape can open it just fine – well with all the usual scale and fill problems that dxf has – but it opens directly. The moment I add text Inkscape won't open it and this is the error message:
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 15.32.43.png
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 15.32.43.png (142.38 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Now I have no idea if this is peculiar to Inkscape or if it is a bug somewhere in the RealCADD to DXF process. But I figured it might be a useful bit of information?

Actually what DXF flavour does RealCADD save to? it would be useful to know that so I can tell my customers who will be downloading dxf files for CNC cutting (though there have been no problems so far at all – though in v-vcarve, you have to import them as vector files rather than just open them.

Inkscape seems to want R13. But it opens RealCADD>DXF files just fine. And converting a RealCADD file containing text to R13, doesn't help.

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Yes George, I see that but the same file is opened with QCAD or with app from OpenDesign Alliance...
Eric Pousse