A new cutting tool

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

A new cutting tool

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

As ever, just a suggestion, but a very simple cutting tool might be very useful.

I know we already have a plethora of excellent cutting tools – Cut and extend (U), Chamfer (UU), Fillet (UUU), Cutting tool (MM), Action >> Cut lines with object, Action >> Cut lines with lines, and finally, Action >> Divide (⌃D) – so there is plenty of choice :mrgreen:

But a straightforward tool – like a pair of scissors – which would simply cut a line where you positioned it and clicked would be very useful as well (I think, anyway!).

Cheers –– George
Eric Pousse

Re: A new cutting tool

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Why not?

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

:D
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

A new beta : 5.03b2 is available with this new tool.
For now, it works on lines and polygons.
The next step is to do it (and cutting tool) working on all objects.
It is an UB (Universal Binary) version which works natively on Intel Mac and on ARM Mac (M1).

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I like it a lot!!!

And if it could work on other objects that would be great – specially I think on circles so they would become arcs.

And if snap or attraction would work too – I see that attraction works already – so you can cut a line in half because the scissors find the Middle. But not Snap. On circles, it would be great if they could find a right quadrant – to make things like Centre of Area icons
ce.jpg
ce.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 5163 times
Thread drift – but sometime when you are modifying the program – could you make the Nudge box (bottom left) a bit bigger?? It's a little hard to enter a new nudge figure because the box is so small (maybe I'm getting old and my eyes aren't so good ..... :mrgreen: )

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

debenriver wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:28 pm ...could you make the Nudge box (bottom left) a bit bigger??...(maybe I'm getting old and my eyes aren't so good ..... :mrgreen: )
I am also affected by this bug! :lol:

And in 5.03b2, I have enlarged a few all texts...except this.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

:D
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

I have redesigned the left bottom bar with icons a few bigger and hight resolution.

The old and the new bar with buttons unselected :

and with buttons selected :

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

That looks pretty good to me! There's plenty of space at the bottom there, even on a small laptop.

Bit more thread drift -- From time to time I look at reviews of the program – mostly pretty good (as they should be :mrgreen: ) But one somewhat consistent theme is that the various tool windows are "disorganized".

I don't agree and personally, I like it fine just how it is and I can organize the various panes where I want them in a consistent fashion instead of having them stuck in one place – I have them grouped on the right side of the screen and all bar Tools auto-retracting. On very tight drawings I temporarily set the drawing width to *1.25 so I can scroll right across the drawing page without getting under a tool pane.

But I wonder if an option to "dock" the tools down the left or along bottom of the screen (like the Mac Dock in fact, but not auto-retracting) would satisfy those critics and reviewers more used to a conventional layout? Perhaps that's a big job however ....

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Yes I think that this is a big job.
And there is workaround (like you do for example) to do with it for users which want "organized" windows.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse