Sensitivity

2D CAD software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
debenriver

Sensitivity

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

I'm having a bit of trouble with snap – specially P – when on higher magnifications. And in fact selecting generally, again mostly at higher magnifications can be a problem. I do use thin lines (normally 0.1) so I guess this could be part of the trouble?? Often, it does actually snap to P but the P icon doesn't appear, so you don't know it's done it.

It could also be my mouse I suppose which is a simple Logitech M170 – though it's always been OK in the past. And I've tried changing mice.

But I wonder if it's possible to add a Sensitivity control to the Preferences (or maybe the Snap window so you could change it easily). ClarisCAD had that (in its Preferences) and you could set it from 1 - 20 (I assume pixels away from an object), which was quite useful. I mostly worked on a setting of 5 I seem to remember,

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Re: Sensitivity

Post by Eric Pousse »

Bonjour George,

Can you send me a small example which shows this problem, please?
The sensitivity of snap is modified with the zoom.
The sensitivity is smaller when the zoom is bigger.
Why not add the possibility to change it as you describe.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Good morning Eric

That makes sense, but at a big zoom, it's really hard to get P to work – see this little movie.

Magnification was actually 10948 as I was working on two lines 25mm apart at 1:30 scale and had zoomed in with the magnify tool and wanted to draw a line perpendicular to one, to intersect exactly with the other.

The problem seems to be more with P than with other snaps – you can see on the movie that I found C on one of the lines, though the C icon didn't appear fully, just a little faint square. P does seem to be more elusive ...

I did eventually get a perpendicular, but I didn't know I was going to because no P icon appeared (sometimes it flickers on and off too quickly to catch). So if I had wanted to fix the P function (by hitting shift-P) to draw a perpendicular from, say the end of the line, I wouldn't have known that I could do it.

I think if you could alter the sensitivity on the fly – or on the Snap pallet – so you didn't have to go back to Preferences to do it, that would be great as it would allow a user to tailor it to changing circumstances in a drawing.

Actually if you could assign a sensitivity to each of the Snap functions individually, this might be even better as you could then sort of prioritize one function over another. Or is there just one sensitivity that applies to all the tools regardless – applying different sensitivities to all of them might get a bit too much!

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

You use a big zoom (10948!).
I have probably to add a minimum to the sensitivity.
I will upload a beta with this shortly, therefore you can test it.

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

I have uploaded a new beta version : 5.30b2

Can you say if it is better with big zooms?

Thanks.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

George,

I have uploaded a new beta version : 5.30b2

Can you say if it is better with big zooms?

Thanks.
Hugely better. No problem getting a P at all (at zoom 16929!!)

Sailboat drawings have a lot of detail stuff, but because they are quite big objects to fit on readily available paper sizes, the scale is often quite small (1:25 - 1:50) for the amount of detail required – hence the need for big zooms!!

Many thanks. Very much appreciated.

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

OK George !

And this beta includes the new hatches and textures.
But with a bug with some polygons.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Well I wondered about that (new hatches) but I can't find them!!

Where are they??

Cheers -- George
Eric Pousse

Post by Eric Pousse »

George,

Select a tool or an object which can be filled and look in the "Attributes" pallet, the "Back" section.

Cordialement.
Eric Pousse
debenriver

Post by debenriver »

Hi Eric

OK - found it!! Great. Thank you.

Question: can the new sensitivity have affected other tools adversely – I now seem to be having difficulty using Parallel, Cutting & Scissor tools – at anything above about 800 zoom they don't seem to work, on some lines at least. Could it just be on the one drawing?? Or old lines (drawn before you changed the sensitivity) – if I draw new lines on the same drawing they seem to work OK and higher zooms. P works perfectly on the old lines at high zooms.

I haven't tried all the tools.

Cheers -- George

EDIT – In fact with an entirely new drawing I seem to be having trouble with those tools. See this movie. That drawing is 1:30 scale, 100 zoom.

MORE EDIT – I went back to the previous version 5.22b2 and those tools are working perfectly on the drawing in the movie, and on the drawing I'm actually working on. So it does look like it's something to do with the new sensitivity change?